Allergy sufferers need to take extra precautions when it comes to keeping their homes clean, in order to keep airborne particles and irritants to a minimum. In order to reduce the number of allergens in your home, there are some cleaning services that should be performed on a regular basis.
In the Living Room
Regular vacuuming of all furniture and carpets is essential, especially if the home also has pets. Carpets and upholstered furniture should be cleaned every three to four months, and rugs should be machine washed in hot water every month or so. Using a steam cleaner on drapes and dusting blinds and ceiling fans should also be performed monthly as well.
In the Bedroom
All linens should be laundered weekly in water that’s at least 140 degree Fahrenheit. Approximately every six to eight weeks, the mattress should be steam cleaned as well. Keep the number of knick-knacks in the bedroom to a minimum, since they tend to collect dust that might only make your allergies worse. As with the living room, launder drapes and throw rugs on a regular basis, and plan on having your carpet cleaned every three to four months.
In the Kitchen
- Keeping the vent above your stove clean and free of grease
- Using natural cleaners whenever possible so the risk of chemicals coming into contact with food is greatly reduced
- Using a steam cleaner to clean wood or tile floors
- Throughout the house you should also:
- Vacuum floor vents on a regular basis
- Change HVAC filters often, using HEPA filters whenever possible
- Dust ledges above doors and windows on a regular basis
- Limit the amount of clutter you have in the house so allergens won’t have a place to hide
If all of this sounds like hard work, it’s because it is. Keeping a house free of allergens requires a great deal of time and effort if you are to be successful at it. Fortunately, a cleaning service such as ServiceMaster by the Border can be especially helpful in maintaining a home that is as free of allergens as possible.